skip to navigation »

Wilhelm Künzel’s House

Year of construction: 1891

Number of views: 4514

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Májová 33, čp. 588

 
 
 

Dr. Wilhelm Künzel, a trader, banker and money changer, decided to build his block of rental flats on the corner of Svobody a Májová streets in 1890. He entrusted the project to ing. Ferdinad Herglotz, whose work can be seen mostly in the villa district around Divadelní Square.[1] One of the last projects of this prominent Cheb builder does not conceal his typical handwriting. The two-floor building patterned by the French Renaissance morphology was dominated by the corner buttress tower finished by a polygonal roof. Two vaulted business rooms with storage space were located on the ground floor opening onto Svobody Street, with a third one on the bevelled corner. Five more rooms and the house entrance opened into Májová Street. The builder situated a total of nine living rooms onto the first floor, with eight more on the second. Dr. Wilhelm Künzel along with his brothers provided banking and money changing services in the house. They established a branch of the Anglo-Austrian bank in 1908–1910 here, which was taken over by the Anglo-Czechoslovak bank in 1922. The ground floor was thus adapted for the needs of the bank and there was also a sizeable vault room besides the treasury and bank’s offices. Wilhelm Künzel would not spend much time in Cheb since he was staying mostly in his hometown of Bayreuth. After Künzel’s death in 1928 his three children and his wife Johanna inherited the house. Legiobanka, a. s. Resided in the bank premises in 1946–1948. The local housing administration company (“Podnik bytového hospodářství”) and then the management of the Regional housing administration company (“Oblastní bytový podnik”) in Cheb resided there in the 1960s. A very prominent and popular Cheb bookstore, led skilfully by Miroslav Kubiska, operated here for many years.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

[1] Zbyněk Černý, “Vila Ferdinanda Herglotze–Kamenná vila”, in: Slavné vily Karlovarského kraje (“Ferdinand Herglotz’s Villa”, in Famous Villas of the Karlovy Vary Region), Prague  2010, p. 50–53.

Literature:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger / History of the Pedestrian Zone in Cheb, Town of Cheb 2010, p. 91-93.

 

Owners

  • 1890 Wilhelm Künzel
  • 1932 Wilhelm Künzel’ heirs
  • 1946 National administration
  • 1949 Town of Cheb
 

Design

Ferdinand Herglotz

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here.

 

Contact Information

Address: Májová 33, čp. 588

 

Pictures

House No. 588 in 1954 on the right. A popular book shop was located on the ground floor. Photo by J. Slavík, SOkA Cheb.

House No. 588 in 1954 on the right. A popular book shop was located on the ground floor. Photo by J. Slavík, SOkA Cheb.

House No. 588, around 1899, SOkA Cheb.

House No. 588, around 1899, SOkA Cheb.

 Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

 
 Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

 Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

 Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

 
 Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

Wilhelm Künzel’s House 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.