skip to navigation »

Home > Historical encyclopaedia > Encyclopaedia > Churches, Monasteries > The Church of the Visitation of Virgin Mary

The Church of the Visitation of Virgin Mary

Number of views: 3803 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

The Church of the Visitation of Virgin Mary

This small church with a bit strange story stood behind so called Bruderhaus in the courtyard between Jakubská, Úzká and Dominikánská streets. Originally a synagogue rebuilt to a church upon the order of the emperor Zikmund in the second half of the 15th century. Sacristy, belfry, loft and two altars were additionally built and the premises were decorated. The church was repaired at the end of the 17th century, however it was its conditions were deteriorating in the subsequent decades. The Hebrew inscriptions appeared under the paint being peeled. The roof was taken down in 1817 and the vault collapsed in 1837. Afterwards the church was sold and burned to the ground.

(RS) 

 

The building no longer exists. 

 

Pictures

 

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.