skip to navigation »

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House

Year of construction: 1879

Number of views: 4885

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Svobody 18, čp. 569

 
 
 

In 1878 the couple Simon and Anna Wetzler decided to build a corner house on the junction of today’s Svobody and Májová streets. The project was developed in the same year by Carl Haberzettl and it certainly was one of the most ambitious building intents from the early stage of building up of Bahnhofstrasse. The two-floor Neo-Renaissance style building was to take over two building sites, with its main volume located in the place where the Bohemian Discount Bank was built later. It was obvious to the Wetzlers already in January 1879 that the project as planned originally exceeded their financial means so they decided to carry out only a part of it. The resulting front, less than a half of the original building, gives a rather unfinished and imbalanced impression, especially due to the side avant-corps with balconies. The building was inspected in the summer of 1879. There were also four shops on the ground floor: the Wetzler brothers operated their own forwarding business, offering mostly transport of grain, potatoes and straw (the company also had offices in Vienna). A furs shop of Rudolf Fischl and a flowers shop (descendants of Niklas Seidl) found their place on the ground floor as well before World War I. The first modern “Automat-bufet” was developed on the ground floor in 1933 by the plans of Karl Mattusch. Four years later, ing. Karl Pascher carried out a modification of the store of the Prostějov company Rolný; in the period of the so called First Republic it was one of the most significant Czech clothing manufacturers. After World War II the “Automat” (buffet) and clothing services kept operating there, with a newly established barber’s and hairdresser’s where the famous barber master Saxa used to work.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literature:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger / History of the Pedestrian Zone in Cheb, Town of Cheb 2010, p. 80-83.

 

Owners

  • 1878 Simon and Anna Wetzler
  • 1906 Descendants of Simon and Anna Wetzler
  • 1928 Rudolf and Leopoldine Fischl
  • 1939 Franz and Richard Otto
  • 1949 Town of Cheb
 

Design

Carl Haberzettl

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Svobody 18, čp. 569

 

Pictures

The junction of today’s Svobody and Májová streets. House No. 569 with advertisement of the forwarding company Gebrüder Wetzler on the left. Photo J. Haberzettl, 1899, SOkA Cheb

The junction of today’s Svobody and Májová streets. House No. 569 with advertisement of the forwarding company Gebrüder Wetzler on the left. Photo J. Haberzettl, 1899, SOkA Cheb

House No. 569 on the left, 1960s, MCH.

House No. 569 on the left, 1960s, MCH.

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

 
Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

 
Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

Simon and Anna Wetzler’s House 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.