skip to navigation »

Home > Historical encyclopaedia > Encyclopaedia > Humanitarian facilities > Saint Jodocus Almshouse and Poorhouse

Saint Jodocus Almshouse and Poorhouse

Number of views: 4294 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

An almshouse was built next to the Church of Saint Jodocus in 1529 and an infirmary in 1602. The almshouse was often used as a hospital as well, especially in times of threatening plague outbreaks. A physician and an undertaker lived in the houses. In 1665, permanent almshouse structures were built on the site. Their operations were funded from public resources from the 19th century. The almshouse had been in operation until World War II. From the 1950s, the buildings gradually turned into ruins and ultimately vanished without a trace.

(RS)

 

The building no longer exists. 

 

Pictures

Saint Jodocus, almshouse on the right

Saint Jodocus, almshouse on the right

Saint Jodocus, poorhouse on the right

Saint Jodocus, poorhouse on the right

 

 

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.