skip to navigation »

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House

Year of construction: 1869

Number of views: 5325

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Šlikova 11, čp./C.N. 8

 
 
 

The house of Adam a Theresie Kreuzinger from 1867 used to stand in the place of today’s building No. 8. It was connected to the adjoining building No. 9 by a facade designed by Adam Haberzettl. It was obtained in 1888 by the lawyer JUDr. Hans Stanka who was an important personality of the contemporary Cheb. He worked on developing the Cheb voluntary fire brigade with unrelenting energy and he was its leader in 1896–1922. He was appointed an honorary citizen of the town of Cheb in 1935 for his merits. After Stanka’s death, his son Rudolf, an ophthalmologist working in Karlovy Vary, decided to have the house demolished and he built a new three-floor building in its place. The house was inspected in 1939 and it was constructed by the project of architect Karl Weinbrenner Jr. and it is a very good evidence of the architectural trends in German regional architecture on the eve of World War II. The house is made specific by a corner polygonal oriel and fresco decorations made by Franz Gruss, a Kraslice painter. The frescoes program is derived from the name of the street - Šlikova (Schlickgasse), commemorating the historic Cheb cloth-weaver family which later gave rise to the significant noble family of the Šliks. The painting depicts their most significant representatives, Jindřich Šlik, the councillor of Cheb, the Imperial Chancellor Kašpar Šlik, the founder of the town of Jáchymov Štěpán Šlik, and Ondřej Šlik, who was executed on the Old Town Square in Prague in 1621. A small goods and prams (“Zdar”) shop, and later sports equipment shop, was established on the ground floor of the house. Poet and author Luděk Šnepp (1922–1999), the author of the novel from the Cheb milieu “Pláňata” (1968) lived here for some time, as commemorated by a memorial plaque by the entrance.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literatura:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger, Město Cheb 2010, s. 50-54.

 

Owners

  • 1868 Adam and Theresia Kreuzinger
  • 1888 Theresia Kreuzinger
  • 1888 Hans Stanka
  • 1937 Rudolf and Hans Stanka
  • 1948 National administration
 

Design

Adam Haberzettl / Karl Weinbrenner Jr.

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Šlikova 11, čp./C.N. 8

 

Pictures

House No. 8, around 1935, SOkA Cheb

House No. 8, around 1935, SOkA Cheb

Interior of house No. 8 before demolition, around 1937, SOkA Cheb

Interior of house No. 8 before demolition, around 1937, SOkA Cheb

Interior of house No. 8 before demolition, around 1937, SOkA Cheb

Interior of house No. 8 before demolition, around 1937, SOkA Cheb

 
A view of the so called Schlick’s House, 1970-1980, SOkA Cheb

A view of the so called Schlick’s House, 1970-1980, SOkA Cheb

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

 
Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

Rudolf and Hans Stanka’s House 2013

 
 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.