skip to navigation »

Home > Historical encyclopaedia > Encyclopaedia > Houses in the Pedestrian Zone > Rental house and department store of the company J. Zuckermann´s Söhne

Rental house and department store of the company J. Zuckermann´s Söhne

Year of construction: 1891

Number of views: 3827

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Svobody 28 a 30, čp. 73 a 74

 
 
 

Two brothers, Moritz and Jakob Zuckermann purchased houses No. 73 and 74 along with their plots in today’s Svobody Street in 1890. The Jewish merchants and owners of the company J. Zuckermann´s Söhne decided to build a single two-floor block of flats and a department store in the place of the original houses. They turned to the already well-established builder Carl Haberzettl to develop the plans (1890). He designed the building in a U-shape. He placed shops and storage space on the ground floor and two spacious apartments with a kitchen, bathroom and maid’s room onto each floor. The street front with gemel windows drew mostly from the Late-Renaissance sources and did not deviate from the contemporary building conventionality. Anton Plass established his hardware shop there on the ground floor in1913 and he had three spacious display windows adapted for it. The house remained in the ownership of the Zuckermann family, or their relatives, the Blochs, until 1940 when it was confiscated as Jewish property. After the nationalization a well-known milk restaurant was opened on its ground floor in 1967. Its interior, designed by the projects centre “Obchodní projekty” in Pilsen (1964), was influenced mostly by the Brussels style.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literature:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger / History of the Pedestrian Zone in Cheb, Town of Cheb 2010, p . 105-108.

 

Owners

House owners (No. 73):

  • 1890 Jakob Zuckermann
  • 1923 Else Bloch
  • 1936 Rudolf, Arthur and Renate Bloch
  • 1940 Georg Hochmuth and Josef Steiner
  • [1948] –1949 Klára Schwarz

 

House owners (No. 74):

  • 1890 Moritz Zuckermann
  • 1915 Franziska Zuckermann
  • 1921 Rudolf Bloch
  • 1940 Georg Hochmuth and Josef Steiner
  • 1946 National administration
  • 1948 Klára Schwarz
 

Design

Carl Haberzettl

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here.

 

Contact Information

Address: Svobody 28 a 30, čp. 73 a 74

 

Pictures

 J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

 J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

 J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

 
 J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

 J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

J. Zuckermann´s Söhne 2013

 
 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.