skip to navigation »

New Synagogue

Number of views: 6139 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

New Synagogue

In the second half of the 18thcentury, Josef II in addition to the abolishment of serfdom abolished a lot of limitations in the positions of the Jews. However, they didn´t acquire full equality of rights until the sixties of the 19th century. In the course of one hundred years the Jews were allowed to leave the ghettos successively, to settle in the towns, to acquire the land, to perform the occupations which were forbidden to them before, to study at university.

Both their social and religious life started to develop also in Cheb. A religious association was in Cheb since 1862, Jewish religious community was established ten years later. Already the religious association started to build up a synagogue; however the building was suspended, according to ones because of a lack of money, according to others because of a rough desecration of the structure. The partly-built structure was purchased by the town and it was finished as a gymnasium. A prayer room was temporarily in the former pub “U české koruny” (At the Czech Crown). Then it was decided to build up a new synagogue on a purchased plot of land in Hradební street opposite the library. It was finished in 1893. The synagogue was burned down in 1938. Now there is a block of flats standing at the place of the synagogue.

(RS)

 

The building no longer exists.

 

Pictures

 

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.