skip to navigation »

Municipal Park – Monument 2

Year of construction: 1947

Number of views: 4217 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

Municipal Park – Monument 2

On 11 December 1945, the District Administration Committee decided on removing the war memorial in Municipal Park. In April 1946, the memorial was blown up and 140 tons of stone were transported to the local construction yard. On 27 April 1946, a foundation stone of a new memorial to U.S. soldiers was laid on the undamaged base of the former monument at the occasion of the celebrations commemorating the liberation of Cheb by the U.S. Army. The unveiling ceremony of the new memorial took place a year later on 27 April 1947. Also this memorial was removed in 1951.

(bh)

 

The monument no longer exists.

 

Pictures

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Delegation at unveiling ceremony on 27 April 1947

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Delegation at unveiling ceremony on 27 April 1947

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Speech of J. Masaryk at unveiling ceremony on 27 April 1947

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Speech of J. Masaryk at unveiling ceremony on 27 April 1947

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Unveiling by U.S. Ambassador on 27 April 1947

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Unveiling by U.S. Ambassador on 27 April 1947

 
Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Honorary guard after unveiling on 27 April 1947

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Honorary guard after unveiling on 27 April 1947

Monument (2) in Municipal Park before demolition in 1951

Monument (2) in Municipal Park before demolition in 1951

Monument (2) in Municipal Park before demolition in 1951

Monument (2) in Municipal Park before demolition in 1951

 
Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Municipal Park after monument demolition in 1952

Monument (2) in Municipal Park. Municipal Park after monument demolition in 1952

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.