skip to navigation »

MUDr. August Sommer’s House

Year of construction: 1892

Number of views: 4910

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Svobody 24 a 26, čp. 72 a čp. 1572

 
 
 

In 1873 the healthcare councillor MUDr. August Sommer from Františkovy Lázně (Franzensbad) decided to invest his financial capital into the construction of a sizeable block of flats in today’s Svobody Street. He charged the incipient builder ing. Carl Haberzettl with the project’s development. Already at that time Sommer expected building over one and a half construction sites, therefore having the building No. 72 neighbouring on the house of the J. Zuckermann´s Söhne company demolished. A year later the new building was inspected but the original size of the housing development was reduced by half. Only in 1891 Sommer returned to the original intention and had the house rebuilt and expanded into its current shape by a revised project of Carl Haberzettl. The original house No. 72 including the business buildings had fallen victim to it. The rather indistinctive street front of the building suggested Haberzettl’s departure from pompous decorativeness and it was also an expression of a still deeper mediocrity of his construction work.  Franz Reinl opened his café and cake shop on the ground floor of the building (postal No. 26) in 1914. The establishment with its own cake bakery soon became very popular and the demand for Reinl’s candies kept growing over the years. Five years later Reinl had to extend and refurbish the space of the cake shop. The company was later taken over by his son Willi Reinl who had the entrance modified in 1936 and he also installed new, more modern, display windows. In the second part of the building (postal No. 24) there was a chemists’ shop of Franz Lang who had his portal and business premises modernized in the same year as Willi Reinl. The building was put under state control after World War II, and a bookbinding shop, radio sets repair and tailor’s shop were established here in 1952, and later also a chemist’s and perfumes shop. It seem that author Luděk Šnepp situated the studio of painter Bojar, a character from his novel “Pláňata” (1968) taking place in Cheb, into the yard buildings of this house.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literature:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger / History of the Pedestrian Zone in Cheb, Town of Cheb 2010, p. 99-102.

 

Owners

House owners (No. 72):

  • 1873 August Sommer
  • 1911 Anna Sommer, Anna Hajek and Marie Peter
  • 1934 Eva Emma Plass, Josef and Anton Plass
  • 1961 Municipal National Committee Cheb

              

House owners (No. 1572):

  • 1933 Franz and Emma Lang
  • 1949 Town of Cheb
  • 1961 Municipal National Committee Cheb
 

Design

Carl Haberzettl

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Svobody 24 a 26, čp. 72 a čp. 1572

 

Pictures

Central part of today’s Svobody Street. Houses No. 72 and 1572 on the right, J. Haberzettl, 1898, SOkA Cheb.

Central part of today’s Svobody Street. Houses No. 72 and 1572 on the right, J. Haberzettl, 1898, SOkA Cheb.

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

 
MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

MUDr. August Sommer’s House 2013

 
 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.