skip to navigation »

Jesuit College

Number of views: 4914 | This object no longer exists.

Category: Churches, Monasteries

Address: Kasární náměstí

 
 
 

College of the Society of Jesus

The Jesuits came to Cheb before 1630. At first, they engaged in missionary activities. Their initial abode was the commandery of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star and later the local Latin school. Even though they had originally intended to build a college in the lower part of the town square, the town gave them the commandery of the Teutonic Knights where they relocated their classrooms and subsequently founded a garden on the farm grounds. They never accomplished their plan of building their own college. The Jesuits had been using the former commandery until 1773 when their order was dissolved. The commandery was pulled down and replaced by army barracks built between 1835 and 1839. The army barracks were demolished after World War II. Today, the site serves as a car park.                                             

(RS)

 

The building no longer exists. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Kasární náměstí

 

Pictures

Jesuit Monastery. East view around 1835. V. Prökl

Jesuit Monastery. East view around 1835. V. Prökl

Jesuit Monastery. East view around 1800. A. Fleisner

Jesuit Monastery. East view around 1800. A. Fleisner

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.