skip to navigation »

J. W. Goethe’s Monument

Year of construction: 1879

Number of views: 4585 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

J. W. Goethe’s Monument

Inspired by the idea of local chronicler Vinzenz Prökl, the owner of the Crown Prince Rudolph Hotel (renamed to the Continental after 1918 and to the Slavia after 1945) in Nádražní Street built a monument to the renowned German poet in 1879 in his garden, which had previously belonged to Goethe’s friend, magistrate councillor Sebastian Grüner. The monument commemorated Goethe’s stays in Cheb between the years 1821 and 1823. The obelisk with a relief and a sign was designed by local builder Herglotz and it was unveiled in July 1879. During the reconstruction of the Slavia Hotel in the late 1960s, a decision was made to restore the monument. However, it disappeared during repairs and it probably ended in the garage foundations of some industrious local. The central block without the sign was found in the 1990s in the garden of the local library. The lost and found block remains standing there to this day.

(bh)

 

The monument no longer exists. 

 

Pictures

Goethe’s monument in Grüner Garden. V. Prökl, 1879

Goethe’s monument in Grüner Garden. V. Prökl, 1879

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.