skip to navigation »

Home > Historical encyclopaedia > Encyclopaedia > Houses in the Pedestrian Zone > House of the firm Focke & Pichler

House of the firm Focke & Pichler

Year of construction: 1904

Number of views: 4535

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Svobody 40, čp. 79

 
 
 

The firm Focke & Pichler, operating commission sales, forwarding and grain trade, purchased a construction site in the lower part of Svobody Street from Margaretha Biedermann in 1896. The firm’s owners Oskar Focke and Franz Pichler turned to the experienced builder Ignaz König in the same year to design a three-floor block of flats with attached production buildings. König drafted a moderate building dominated by a simple oriel in its axis. The passageway to the production buildings extending to almost 50 m distance was situated on the right. Stables for five horses, quarantine, an extensive storage space and an apartment were situated in the buildings. The block of flats was not built, unlike the production buildings, so a one-floor small house originally belonging to Ms. Bidermann stood there until 1904. In 1903 the firm owners started to contemplate the house construction again. This time they tasked Josef Haberzettl with the development of the plans. The building constructed was in the end a compromise between König’s draft and the preserved Haberzettl’s plans. The front style expressed the undistinguished late Eclecticism style. The two-floor oriel in the axis designed by König remained, and the Neo-Renaissance gable and decorative chambranles were based on Haberzettl’s plans. The construction office insisted strictly on keeping the construction line because the original and neighbouring buildings were intruding into the newly set up construction and street line, and also on building over the whole width of the site, to prevent creation of needless gaps. Cheb lawyer JUDr. Otto Klein obtained the house in 1921. Klein rented the ground floor spaces with shops to the company Elektrizitätswerk Eger (Cheb Power Company) which set up its “Elektrohaus” store there. The modern entrance portal which is still visible today in spite of some later modifications was designed by architect Alfred Hablawetz from Cheb in 1933. Cloth trader Anton Regner purchased the house in 1940. After World War II the house became the property of the municipal administration of Cheb. Later, a sweet shop was located on the ground floor; its premises were later modified by the clothing company of Příbram for its needs which established its exclusive textiles shop “Linie” there.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literature:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu, / History of the Pedestrian Zone in Cheb, Town of Cheb 2010, p. 138-142.

 

Owners

  • (1874) Margaretha Biedermann
  • 1896 firm Focke & Pichler
  • 1904 Oskar Focke and Franz Pichler
  • 1912 Franz Pichler
  • 1921 JUDr. Otto Klein
  • 1940 Anton Regner
  • 1946 JUDr. Otto Klein
  • 1961 Municipal National Committee Cheb
 

Design

Josef Haberzettl

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here.

 

Contact Information

Address: Svobody 40, čp. 79

 

Pictures

House of the firm Focke & Pichler  2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler 2013

Original houses in the site of houses No. 79 and 768. The Valdštejn Café is located in the background, the German House on the right. Photo by J. Haberzettl, 1903, SOkA Cheb.

Original houses in the site of houses No. 79 and 768. The Valdštejn Café is located in the background, the German House on the right. Photo by J. Haberzettl, 1903, SOkA Cheb.

The half-timbered house in the place of which the apartment block and department store of the firm Focke & Pichler (No. 79) was built. Photo by J. Haberzettl, 1903, SOkA Cheb.

The half-timbered house in the place of which the apartment block and department store of the firm Focke & Pichler (No. 79) was built. Photo by J. Haberzettl, 1903, SOkA Cheb.

 
Original draft of the street front of house No. 79, Josef Haberzettl, 1903, ASÚ Cheb.

Original draft of the street front of house No. 79, Josef Haberzettl, 1903, ASÚ Cheb.

Plan of the rebuilding of the yard buildings of the forwarding firm Focke & Pichler, Thomas Buxbaum, 1924, ASÚ Cheb.

Plan of the rebuilding of the yard buildings of the forwarding firm Focke & Pichler, Thomas Buxbaum, 1924, ASÚ Cheb.

Modification of the ground floor of house No. 79 for the Elektrohaus shop, Alfred Hablawetz, 1933, ASÚ Cheb.

Modification of the ground floor of house No. 79 for the Elektrohaus shop, Alfred Hablawetz, 1933, ASÚ Cheb.

 
House of the firm Focke & Pichler  2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler 2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler  2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler 2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler  2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler 2013

 
House of the firm Focke & Pichler  2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler 2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler  2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler 2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler  2013

House of the firm Focke & Pichler 2013

 
 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.