skip to navigation »

Hornig House

Number of views: 3937

Category: Houses in the Square

Address: Kamenná 489/1

 
 
 

Hornig’s House

The house is named after a local physician, Dr. Mathes Hornig, who was forced to flee the country due to his Lutheran faith. As an uncompromising man, he was imprisoned for mocking the town council in March 1629. After being expelled from the town, he emigrated to Thiersheim and later settled in Nurnberg, Germany. He is largely merited for his books on the Cheb acidulous mineral water. Already his first work published in 1614 attracted much attention among medical circles. His second book released in 1617, in which he described the mineral spring composition and its curative effects, was republished in 1623. It first mentions the use of Slatinská kyselka (Bog Spring), which is currently known as the František Spring. His house was sold in 1634 and the town of Cheb undoubtedly lost one of its prominent figures.

(bh)

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here.

 

Contact Information

Address: Kamenná 489/1

 

Pictures

Hornig House around 1910

Hornig House around 1910

Hornig House in 1946

Hornig House in 1946

Hornig House in 1953

Hornig House in 1953

 
Hornig House. Facade 1979

Hornig House. Facade 1979

Hornig House in 1999

Hornig House in 1999

Hornig House 2013

Hornig House 2013

 
Hornig House 2013

Hornig House 2013

Hornig House 2013

Hornig House 2013

Hornig House 2013

Hornig House 2013

 
Hornig House 2013

Hornig House 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.