skip to navigation »

Home > Historical encyclopaedia > Encyclopaedia > Humanitarian facilities > Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob

Number of views: 3326

Category: Humanitarian facilities

Address: Jakubská

 
 
 

In the Middle Ages, brotherhoods were commonly founded as laic religious associations engaging in charitable activities. Such brotherhood was also established in Cheb. The first was the Brotherhood of the Holy Spirit founded in the 1270s, the activities of which were later assumed by the Order of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star. In 1467, the Brotherhood of Saint Jacob opened a home for “fragile” elderly men incapable of taking care of themselves under the German name Bruderhaus St. Jakob (Brethren Home of St. Jacob). It is possible that the home was founded in connection with the conversion of the adjoining synagogue into a church, which provided spiritual support to its occupants.

(RS)

 

This historical sight is not accessible to the public.

 

Contact Information

Address: Jakubská

 

Pictures

 
Bruderhaus (red)

Bruderhaus (red)

 

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

 
Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

Home of the Brethren of Saint Jacob 2013

 
 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.