skip to navigation »

Grüner House

Number of views: 6903

Category: Houses in the Square

Address: náměstí Krále Jiřího z Poděbrad 477/33

 
 
 

Grüner's House

The house was in the possession of the well-known Werndl family from 1591 until 1876 and their coat of arms is installed in an oval cartouche above the portal. In 1713, the original Gothic structure was converted into one of the first stately Baroque houses in the town. The high quality stone work is attributed to P. A. Felsner, namely in connection with the construction of the town hall.

In the first half of the 19th century, the house served as the residence of magistrate councillor Grüner and it was frequently visited by J. W. Goethe. The original memorial plaque commemorating Goethe's stays was removed in the 1980s during the completion of a more than 10-year reconstruction. By mere accident, the broken plaque was found by an employee of the Cheb Museum and placed among its collections.

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here. 

 

Contact Information

Address: náměstí Krále Jiřího z Poděbrad 477/33

 

Pictures

Grüner House around 1910

Grüner House around 1910

Grüner House in 1951

Grüner House in 1951

Grüner House in 1953

Grüner House in 1953

 
Grüner House, facade 1979

Grüner House, facade 1979

Grüner House in 1999

Grüner House in 1999

Grüner House 2013

Grüner House 2013

 
Grüner House 2013

Grüner House 2013

Grüner House 2013

Grüner House 2013

Grüner House 2013

Grüner House 2013

 
Grüner House 2013

Grüner House 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.