skip to navigation »

Grammar School

Number of views: 6352

Category: Significant Public Buildings

Address: Kostelní náměstí 14

 
 
 

Grammar School

The Cheb grammar school, which is mentioned as a Latin school as early as in the 1300s, was an indispensable economic source for the town in the 1800s as it was attended by students from far and near to whom the local inhabitants provided lodging and boarding.

Initially, the Latin school was closely associated with the Church of Saint Nicholas. The teachers were members of a German order of knights and they were subject to the church school in Regensburg. In the 15th century, the town acquired the right to decide on the composition of the teaching staff and it subsequently assumed overall supervision over schooling.

The old building of the Latin school was repeatedly reconstruction over the centuries. In 1821, Goethe was present during the final examinations and he personally awarded the best students. The old building was pulled down in 1822.

In the 16th century, the Latin school had four or five classes and five teachers. It was closed in 1628 and Evangelic teachers were dismissed by the reformation committee. The school was reopened in 1629 by the Jesuits (until 1773) as a two-class school with two teachers. In 1641, the Jesuits succeeded in fulfilling their plan of opening six classes. The main objective of the school was to educate students in religion, theology, and Latin.

Following the dissolution of the Jesuit Order in 1774, supervision over the Latin school was assumed by the Piarists. The curriculum was widened to include history, geography, mathematics and Greek, and German replaced Latin as the primary school language. In 1850, the grammar school was enlarged to eight classes and technical subjects were added. In general, though, the main focus of the grammar school remained purely humanistic.

(Catalogue 1994, 82)

 

Contact Information

Address: Kostelní náměstí 14

 

Pictures

Old grammar school. K. Huss around 1820

Old grammar school. K. Huss around 1820

Old grammar school in 1470. V. Prökl around 1850

Old grammar school in 1470. V. Prökl around 1850

Grammar school. Town model. A. Herold, 1850

Grammar school. Town model. A. Herold, 1850

 
Old grammar school. V. Prökl around 1850

Old grammar school. V. Prökl around 1850

Grammar school building. Kitzler, 1869

Grammar school building. Kitzler, 1869

Grammar school around 1900. J. Haberzettl

Grammar school around 1900. J. Haberzettl

 
Grammar school building in 1945

Grammar school building in 1945

Grammar school. Aerial view 1999

Grammar school. Aerial view 1999

Grammar school building. View from Školní Street. Kitzler, 1871

Grammar school building. View from Školní Street. Kitzler, 1871

 
Školní Street leading to the grammar school in 1900. J. Haberzettl

Školní Street leading to the grammar school in 1900. J. Haberzettl

Grammar school teaching staff. Around 1930

Grammar school teaching staff. Around 1930

Grammar school. Layout plan and facade. V. Prökl, 1850

Grammar school. Layout plan and facade. V. Prökl, 1850

 
Grammar school. Non-executed project. V. Prökl, 1865

Grammar school. Non-executed project. V. Prökl, 1865

 Grammar School 2013

Grammar School 2013

 Grammar School 2013

Grammar School 2013

 
 Grammar School 2013

Grammar School 2013

 Grammar School 2013

Grammar School 2013

 Grammar School 2013

Grammar School 2013

 
 Grammar School 2013

Grammar School 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.