skip to navigation »

Georg Lohr’s House

Year of construction: 1872

Number of views: 3736

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Svobody 7, čp./C.N. 543

 
 
 

In 1870 the restaurant owner Georg Lohr purchased a building site from Anton Loimann on the corner of today’s Svobody and Komenského streets. Builder Adam Haberzettl from Cheb developed a project of a huge three-floor building for him in the same year, with a major mass situated in the direction of Komenského Street. The liberal project was reduced in the next year by Haberzettl though and he reduced the front facing Komenského Street by four window axes. The building received a barracks-like stern facade made more particular only by a high semi-column with a Corinth capital on its corner. Georg Lohr was in a hurry to have the house inspected and he applied to the Construction Office to carry the inspection out already in the early November 1871. By checking on the spot the commission concluded that the house was not finished enough yet to be habitable though and rejected to carry out the final inspection. Lohr was only allowed to live in the house in the next year. Willy Höckl opened his restaurant on the ground floor which carried the name of “Egerer Bierstübl” after World War I. The restaurant owner’s son, MUDr. Adam Lohr, a “specialist in internal medicine and skin diseases”, opened his office here too. The building also housed the premises of the rubber products trader Josef Eusebius Simon. It was also possible to buy men’s clothing on the ground floor at August Serkin’s or stationery at Josef Zimmermann’s. Gustav Höhne ran his perfumes and soap shop here around 1925. The house used to be called a “department store” for its large number of shops and stores. It was owned by Nikolaus Lohr, an insurance company clerk, and Barbara Blechschmid from 1924. The national company “Západočeské pekárny a cukrárny” of Plzeň obtained the building after World War II. In 1952 one of the shops was rebuilt into a popular restaurant called “Na Růžku”. The Regional Cultural Centre had its offices in the house as well. The building was reconstructed in the 1970s and obtained its contemporary style-indifferent facade. 

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literatura:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger, Město Cheb 2010, s. 62-64.

 

Owners

  • 1871 Georg Lohr
  • 1909 MUDr. Adam Lohr
  • 1924 Nikolaus Lohr and Barbara Blechschmid
  • 1935 Barbara Blechschmid
  • 1949 Town of Cheb
  • 1955 Administration of the national company “Pekárny” in Cheb
  • 1964 National company “Západočeské pekárny a cukrárny”, Pilsen
 

Design

Adam Haberzettl

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Svobody 7, čp./C.N. 543

 

Pictures

 Georg Lohr’s House 2013

Georg Lohr’s House 2013

 Georg Lohr’s House 2013

Georg Lohr’s House 2013

 Georg Lohr’s House 2013

Georg Lohr’s House 2013

 
 Georg Lohr’s House 2013

Georg Lohr’s House 2013

 Georg Lohr’s House 2013

Georg Lohr’s House 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.