skip to navigation »

Gas House

Number of views: 4691 | This object no longer exists.

Category: Significant Public Buildings

Address: Tovární

 
 
 

Gas House

In 1864, Dr. N. H. Schilling from Munich built a gas house on the left side of Pražská Street in the Cheb suburb known as Lodní předměstí. Operated by a private company, the plant supplied gas for the gas lamps illuminating the town streets and squares. In 1889, the plant was acquired by the town. In 1901, the town founded a joint enterprise with the municipal waterworks (Städtische Gas-und Wasserwerke), the seat of which was in Pražská Street No. 9.

The enterprise was nationalised in 1945 and it became a part of the Západočeské plynárny Praha national enterprise. At that time, gas was supplied to 99% of the households. In 1963, innovative technology was introduced that allowed the plant to produce coal gas from benzine. The gas plant output covered two thirds of the gas consumption in Cheb (7,500), Františkovy Lázně (1,500) and Aš (3,500 customers) and the remaining volume was supplied through the newly built gas transmission line from gasworks in north Bohemia (Záluží, Úžín). The gas house in Cheb was closed down in 1968 after a modern gas compression plant had been completed in Vřesová.

(Beran 2006, 13)

 

This building is not accessible to the public. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Tovární

 

Pictures

Gas house. Drawing by V. Prökl, 1865

Gas house. Drawing by V. Prökl, 1865

Gas house. Drawing by Kritzler, 1872

Gas house. Drawing by Kritzler, 1872

Gas house. Aerial view 1927

Gas house. Aerial view 1927

 
Gas house. Buildings in the 1930s

Gas house. Buildings in the 1930s

Gas house. Boiler house around 1930

Gas house. Boiler house around 1930

Gas house. Boiler house around 1930

Gas house. Boiler house around 1930

 
 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.