skip to navigation »

Department store Prior

Year of construction: 1984

Number of views: 11092

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Svobody 6, čp./C.N. 2094

 
 
 

An extensive demolition of the original buildings was carried out in mid-March of 1978 in today’s Svobody Street to make room for the new “Prior” department store. A total of 250 kg of explosives levelled forever the houses No. 539 of Petr Ludwig and No. 538 (later No. 536) of Niklas Schneider. Both buildings were most probably designed by the builder Adam Haberzettl. The house of Niklas Schneider was rebuilt in 1873 by Johann Siegl. Petr Ludwig operated a flour, salt and tobacco business. A number of clothing shops were located in Niklas Schneider’s house. Hans Stocker, who later built his own “Fashions House” in Cheb (No. 1566, Svobody Street) started here as well. Hatter Anna Proksch, optician Wenzl Fritsche and shoe-maker Josef Schneider resided in the house before World War I. In the 1920s hatter Vinzenz Zahn came to the house, along with a cake shop of Hans Ullersperger. After World War II the electrical appliances shop “Elektra” operated in the house, as well as a textiles shop, a sewing machines, bicycles and prams shop, and finally also a television and radio sets sale and service shop. The construction of a new department store was launched in 1983 in the place of the demolished buildings. The plans for the building were developed by the Státní projektový ústav obchodu in Brno(the State Project Institute of Business). The area of the new building was 2 500 m2. The gates of the new “Prior” department store opened festively on Monday, 1 December 1986. The revenue from that day was over 2 million Czechoslovak Crowns.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literatura:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger, Město Cheb 2010, s. 58-62.

 

Design

Státní projektový ústav obchodu – Brno (Ing. arch. Josef Pálka)

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here.

 

Contact Information

Address: Svobody 6, čp./C.N. 2094

 

Pictures

House No. 539 on the corner of Svobody and Šlikova streets, 1957, photo by J. Slavík, SOkA Cheb.

House No. 539 on the corner of Svobody and Šlikova streets, 1957, photo by J. Slavík, SOkA Cheb.

House No. 536 on the corner of Svobody and Obrněné brigády streets, 1957, photo by J. Slavík, SOkA Cheb.

House No. 536 on the corner of Svobody and Obrněné brigády streets, 1957, photo by J. Slavík, SOkA Cheb.

the ruins of house No. 551 in Obrněné brigády Street, 1978, SOkA Cheb.

the ruins of house No. 551 in Obrněné brigády Street, 1978, SOkA Cheb.

 
House No. 539 before its demolition, 1978, SOkA Cheb.

House No. 539 before its demolition, 1978, SOkA Cheb.

Shop window of the Prior department store before the general strike, November 1989, photo by V. Srp, MCH.

Shop window of the Prior department store before the general strike, November 1989, photo by V. Srp, MCH.

Department store Prior 2013

Department store Prior 2013

 
Department store Prior 2013

Department store Prior 2013

Department store Prior 2013

Department store Prior 2013

Department store Prior 2013

Department store Prior 2013

 
Department store Prior 2013

Department store Prior 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.