skip to navigation »

Commemorative plaque - Neumann

Year of construction: 1897

Number of views: 4202 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

Commemorative plaque of Balthasar Neumann

The commemorative plaque was unveiled at the home of Balthasar Neumann in front of the former Ship Gate in 1897. The entire eastern side of the Kasárna square was demolished during the reconstruction of the town in 1962, the commemorative plaque was destroyed and a favourite high –rise apartment building grew up at the place of the native home of the famous Cheb person. When a new commemorative plaque was made in 2001 it was found out that it cannot be placed at the original house. Therefore it was fixed to the remains of the castle walls round the corner. An emergency explanation that a workshop where Neumann was apprenticed had stood here is truthful but the visitor learns a new tale from the text of the plaque that there used to be the house here in which the baroque builder was born.

(bh)

 

Contact Information

Address: Smetanova

 

Pictures

Native house of Balthasar Neumann with the commemorative plaque. J. Haberzettl 1902

Native house of Balthasar Neumann with the commemorative plaque. J. Haberzettl 1902

Commemorative plaque at the native house of B. Neumann. Around 1930

Commemorative plaque at the native house of B. Neumann. Around 1930

Commemorative plaque at the native house of B. Neumann. 1960

Commemorative plaque at the native house of B. Neumann. 1960

 
Demolition of the native house of Balthasar Neumann. 1962

Demolition of the native house of Balthasar Neumann. 1962

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.