skip to navigation »

Home > Historical encyclopaedia > Encyclopaedia > Churches, Monasteries > Commandery of the Teutonic Knights

Commandery of the Teutonic Knights

Number of views: 5977 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

Commandery of the Order of the Teutonic Knights

The Teutonic Knights, full name: the Order of Brothers of the German House of Saint Mary in Jerusalem, appear in Cheb soon after the foundation of their order (1198) in the early 13th century. The commandery (komturia) in Cheb is first mentioned in written records in 1265. Nevertheless, the order is already mentioned in connection with the Hospital of the Blessed Virgin in Cheb in 1256. The Teutonic Knights founded the first school in Cheb as documented by first written records dating to the year 1300. The commandery stood on the site of the present-day Kasární Square.

In 1608, the commandery was acquired by the town along with the right of patronage over most churches in the district of Cheb. In 1626, the Emperor ordered the town council to assign the purchased commandery to Baronet Christof Simon Thun, a Knight Hospitaller, who would compensate the purchase price. In 1693, the town re-acquired the commandery and provided it to the Jesuits before they were able to build their own college.     

(RS)

 

The building no longer exists. 

 

Pictures

 
 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.