skip to navigation »

Church of Saint John

Number of views: 6996 | This object no longer exists.

Category: Churches, Monasteries

Address: Jánské náměstí

 
 
 

Church of Saint John the Baptist

The oldest church in Cheb had once stood in the town marketplace on the site of the present-day Jánské Square. The town parish priest is mentioned as a witness on a deed dated to the 1140s. As the deed documents the existence of the parish, we may presume that the church had been already constructed by then. The church was surrounded by a cemetery and enclosed by a wall, which added a character of a refuge to the church grounds. A Baroque forefront was later added. The church was destroyed by a devastating fire of the north part of the town and it was never rebuilt. A stone with mysterious symbols came from the church, but it was lost in the mid 19th century.

(RS)

 

The building no longer exists. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Jánské náměstí

 

Pictures

Church of Saint John. Drawing by K. Huss, 1821

Church of Saint John. Drawing by K. Huss, 1821

Church of Saint John. Ground plan of church and cemetery. V. Prökl, 1845

Church of Saint John. Ground plan of church and cemetery. V. Prökl, 1845

Church of Saint John. Ground plan of church. Grueber, 1864

Church of Saint John. Ground plan of church. Grueber, 1864

 
Church of Saint John. Drawing by V. Prökl, 1845

Church of Saint John. Drawing by V. Prökl, 1845

Church of Saint John. Stone with mysterious symbols. Drawing by K. Huss, 1821

Church of Saint John. Stone with mysterious symbols. Drawing by K. Huss, 1821

Church of Saint John. Stone with mysterious symbols. Grueber, 1864

Church of Saint John. Stone with mysterious symbols. Grueber, 1864

 
 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.