skip to navigation »

Home > Historical encyclopaedia > Encyclopaedia > Churches, Monasteries > Church of Saint Anne on Zelená Mountain

Church of Saint Anne on Zelená Mountain

Number of views: 5152 | This object no longer exists.

 
 

A chapel was built by Franciscan monks on the site in 1518. The chapel served as a hermitage for the friars from 1575. The chapel was converted into a church when a nave was erected in 1692. The adjoining parish building was constructed by the town between the years 1716 and 1718. An additional hospice was built, which was managed by the Franciscans. The Way of the Cross led along the enclosure walls.

Saint Anne soon became a popular pilgrimage site. The Chapel of Saint Sebastian near Myslivna (Gamekeeper’s Lodge) was also administered by the church. After World War II, the area became a part of the border zone and all structures were demolished. Today, only the ruins of the Church of Saint Anne may be found on the site along with a symbolic cemetery formed by re-erected tombstones and a large wooden cross nearby.

 

Today, only the ruins of the Church of Saint Anne may be found on the site along with a symbolic cemetery formed by re-erected tombstones and a large wooden cross nearby. 

 

Pictures

 

 
 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.