skip to navigation »

Christoph Katholing’s House

Year of construction: 1867

Number of views: 3697

Category: Houses in the Pedestrian Zone

Address: Svobody 9, čp./C.N. 533

 
 
 

Builder Adam Haberzettl prepared a project of a two-floor block of flats No. 533 for Christoph Katholing, a municipal butcher, in 1866. Haberzettl used an almost similar concept as in the case of the neighbouring house of Georg Lohr. The original intent was modified after purchasing Lohr’s plot and the building was extended by two window axes, thus joining both neighbouring buildings. A passageway was located on the ground floor of the extended segment with rooms on both floors above it. The final inspection was not carried out yet and Katholing already requested further construction changes when he wanted to change the passageway into more rooms and add horse stables in the yard by the exit. The year 1871 brought about another extension of the house by sham avant-corps, on the opposite side of the building this time, where the yard passageway was situated by the builder. Due to these construction changes a slightly illogical rhythm and structuring appeared in the whole front. It is interesting that Adam Haberzettl suggested keeping the original and new attic floors above the sham avant-corps, obviously thinking about the front in context of the neighbouring building. The final front face is – similarly to the neighbouring building No. 532 – most characteristic of the late work of Adam Haberzettl distinguished predominantly by a synthesis of Gothic and Renaissance elements. In 1883 the house was purchased by Michael Uhl, a baker master, who immediately established his own bakery in the yard buildings. His business was later taken over by his son Johann who kept extending it. After World War II a haberdasher’s was located on the ground floor and the premises of the national company “Bazar”. The “Hotely a restaurace” company had a project of adaptation of the ground floor for the Monika sweet shop developed in 1968. A fashion jewellery shop was opened here in 1970.

Authors of the text: Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová

 

Comment

Literatura:

Zbyněk Černý - Karel Halla - Hana Knetlová, Que procedit. Historie pěší zóny v Chebu / Geschichte der Fussgängerzone in Eger, Město Cheb 2010, s. 67-69.

 

Owners

  • 1866 Christoph Katholing
  • [1876] Georg Lohr
  • 1883 Michael and Margaretha Uhl
  • 1915 Johann Uhl and Margaretha Uhl
  • 1926 Johann Uhl
  • 1942 Johann Uhl and Grete Paterny
  • 1949 Town of Cheb
 

Design

Adam Haberzettl

 

Accessible to the public only during operating hours of the businesses residing here. 

 

Contact Information

Address: Svobody 9, čp./C.N. 533

 

Pictures

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

 
Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

Christoph Katholing’s House 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.