skip to navigation »

Bismarck’s Bench

Year of construction: 1910

Number of views: 3804

Category: Monuments, Fountains, Memorial Plaques

Address: Dvořákovy sady

 
 
 

Bismarck’s Bench

In Bismarck Park situated not far from the railway viaduct in the direction of Saxony, Germany, a bench made of rugged stone and named after Bismarck may be found. It was installed in the park upon the order of the "Vohburg", an association of German inhabitants, in 1910. A bronze plaque bears the eternal words of the famed chancellor of the old empire: "We shall not go to Canossa!" and "We, Germans, fear nothing else in the world than God!" The meditative alcove with the bench is surrounded by young oak trees from a Saxon forest.

(Eger 1913, 39)

 

The monument may be found in Dvořák Park.

 

Contact Information

Address: Dvořákovy sady

 

Pictures

Zlatý vrch (Golden Hill). Bismarck’s bench. Drawing from 1913

Zlatý vrch (Golden Hill). Bismarck’s bench. Drawing from 1913

Zlatý vrch (Golden Hill). Remnants of Bismarck's bench in 2001

Zlatý vrch (Golden Hill). Remnants of Bismarck's bench in 2001

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

 
Bismarck’s Bench 2013

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

 
Bismarck’s Bench 2013

Bismarck’s Bench 2013

 

 
Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb

Interactive Encyclopaedia of the Town of Cheb
Overview of Top 200 Historic Sites in Cheb.